Monday, March 12, 2012



As for springtime revival, the discovery of a new produce market helps heaps, too. I left behind a great little one in my old city and had the hardest time finding another here in St. Pete - until Graham's Produce Market, only a few miles away in Kenneth City. Strawberries, rond du Nice zucchini, cucumbers, romaine, asparagus, snap peas, cabbage, mushrooms, cubanelle peppers, broccoli, grape tomatoes, shallots and baby bananas - all for only $22. Take that, overpriced grocery store produce! So we've been eating a lot better, to say the least.

I've just started reading An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler and even only a few chapters in, I adore it. It is not so much food memoir as food philosophy, and it's one I've held in my heart for a long time: it is more than possible to eat (and live) very well for very little, it only takes mindfulness and a little know-how. I must be mindful about it again. It's not hard, really, and it's so good for me, body and soul.

Spring is always good for reminding me of these things.

No comments: